Thursday, September 27, 2012

Oh Gingersnap!

"Gingersnap" is an unfair name for these.  When I hear "gingersnap", I think of fictitious running cookies, miniature holiday homes linked with frosting, and possibly a jar-full stolen by the Grinch.  Reader be warned.  These are not that type of cookie.  These soft cookies (I use the plural because it's physically impossible to eat only one) melt the instant they hit the tongue, and the spices blend together with a grace that brings you home.  I honestly can't make these and not think of the time my mother and I spent in the kitchen around Christmas-time, singing Celine Dion and Josh Groban Christmas music and baking up magic.

Molasses Cookies

3/4 C Butter-softened
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C molasses
1 egg
2 1/2 C flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
2 t ginger
1 t cloves
dash of nutmeg

Blend first 4 ingredients together.  In a different bowl, sift together remaining ingredients.  Add to wet ingredients.  Roll dough into balls and semi-flatten the top of the ball in sugar.  Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.  Once again, my dad and husband both enjoy these with vanilla ice cream!

awww... good memories :)


3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, sweeeeeeet memories! I have to admit, finding that recipe was a gold mine. EVERYONE loves these cookies. And I think they were the secret weapon that won Tony for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got the comments to work! I am so happy you posted this recipe because Tony has shared these cookies with me a few times and they are AMAZING! It was good to talk to you two the other night and I hope you are having a good week! Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am due for some of these delicious cookie morsels...
    Eating cookies is always a good memory!

    ReplyDelete